February 22, 2013
TWEET: NEWS: #Australia is top travel city for #Singaporeans in #MasterCard’s latest #ConsumerPurchasingPriorities survey http://bit.ly/YGyAMY
Singapore, 22 February 2013 – MasterCard Worldwide’s latest survey of Consumer Purchasing Priorities (2012 H2) reveals that most Singaporeans favor Australia as their destination of choice, followed by Hong Kong and Japan. However if money was not a constraint, Japan would top the list of desirable cities, followed by London.
“It is little surprise that Australia, Hong Kong and Japan are the top destinations of choice for Singaporeans – packages to these three countries are also highly popular at the biannual NATAS travel fairs,” said Ms Patricia Auyeong, Acting Group CEO, NATAS. “These countries represent much of what Singaporeans love about travel – whether it is for good food, shopping, sightseeing or even just enjoying different seasons,” she said.
Commenting on travel trends from the survey, Ms. Julienne Loh, general manager of Singapore, MasterCard Worldwide said, “We can expect hotspots for leisure travel to be in the Asia/Pacific region for 2013. Nine out of 10 countries in our list of popular destinations for Singaporeans are in Asia/Pacific. Singaporeans would also choose to travel to Japan over London if money was not a constraint, signaling that Singaporeans are embracing the region to discover its hidden gems.”
In terms of frequency of travel, eight in 10 Singaporeans made at least one overseas leisure trip in 2012, with a third of the survey respondents intending to make more leisure trips in 2013 than they did in the past.
Summary of survey results:
- More than eight in 10 undertook international travel for leisure in the past 12 months
- Australia followed by Hong Kong and Japan are the most popular destinations
- If money was not a constraint, Japan followed by London tops the list of desirable destinations
- Money and time are the main constraints to traveling more internationally among Singaporeans
- Alcohol, followed by cosmetics and edible items / chocolates continue to be the most popular items purchased at airports
- Mid-range hotels is the most popular type of accommodation on international travel
- General sightseeing is the most popular activity on international trips, followed by shopping and rest and relaxation
- Transport and accommodation take up the biggest chunks of holiday budget
The MasterCard Worldwide Survey on Consumer Purchasing Priorities provides valuable insights into consumers’ savings and expenditure behaviour and their discretionary spending priorities. In particular, the series covers Consumer Purchasing Priorities including Travel, Dining & Entertainment, Education, Money Management, Luxury and General Shopping. The latest survey wave commissioned by MasterCard was conducted in Singapore from 7 November to 23 December 2012. The 455 respondents are Singapore residents between 18-64 years old owning a bank account. The results of this survey do not represent the financial performance of MasterCard.
MasterCard (NYSE: MA), www.mastercard.com, is a technology company in the global payments industry. We operate the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. MasterCard’s products and solutions make everyday commerce activities – such as shopping, traveling, running a business and managing finances – easier, more secure and more efficient for everyone. Follow us on Twitter @MasterCardNews, join the discussion on the Cashless Conversations Blog and subscribe for the latest news.